Suspected bandits stranded day after killing captain, 3 Soldiers
Communities in Munya local government of Niger state have reportedly sighted some stranded suspected bandits roaming the areas in apparent search for food.
This is coming barely 24 hours after a captain and three soldiers were killed in an ambush by gunmen Sunday.
The suspected bandits, according to sources, about 30 in number, were believed to have been involved in the attack that claimed a captain, three soldiers and other civilians in the area.
Blueprint gathered that: “The bandits are armed with sophisticated guns. We are convinced that these strange people were earlier involved in the attack on Sunday during which some soldiers were killed. These attackers are currently stranded in communities in the area.”
In a report Sunday, the state-owned radio station confirmed that several men riding on motorcycles were sighted in some villages in Munya local government of the state.
Chairman Munya local government Mohammed Garba Daza confirmed to newsmen the sighting of the bandits in his local government area.
Speaking through the council’s vice chairman, Luka Garba, the council boss appealed to the state government to beef up security in the area, saying “the villagers have since abandoned their homes for the bandits.”
According to report, residents of the communities fled the houses for fear of possible attack.
Our correspondent, however, learnt that the bandits were currently moving from one location to another, looking for a safe exit from the communities as they feared their entry route may no longer be safe for them.
The affected communities include; Sohon Kabula, luwi, Rufogo, Mudungo, Beni and Toko, while the villagers had reportedly abandoned their homes.
It was further gathered that the bandits had ran out of fuel in their motorcycles and food, and therefore divided themselves into three groups with some in new Kabula and Mudungo communities.
“They are all strangers because they don’t know where to go and how to get out of the communities, that is why they want the people to show them where to follow. They refused to follow all the routes that they showed them. So, right now, I can tell you that they are stranded. If the security agents can move in now, they will capture them,” our source added.
When contacted, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Niger state police command, DSP Mohammed Abubakar, said police had been deployed to flush out criminal elements from the area.
Ondo APC chieftain kidnapped
Meanwhile, police in Ondo state have confirmed the abduction of a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Mr James Tolorunju Ajulo.
Ajulo was kidnapped by unknown gunmen at his residence in Ibaka quarters in Akungba Akoko, Akoko South West local government area of the state.
Blueprint gathered that the kidnappers stormed Ajulo’s residence when he returned from an outing, and his house ransacked before being taken away.
The party leader, who’s a factional ward chairman of the party in the local government, was driven off by the hoodlums in his personal car.
Ajulo’s close associate and lawyer, Mr. Tolu Babaleye confirmed the development.
Giving a graphic details of the incident, Babaleye said: “The kidnappers laid an ambush for him in his house. They ransacked his house after which they took him away in his own car. They used the Toyota Sienna car they came with as a backup to escape from the scene.
“They shot sporadically in the air to scare away residents which aided their escape from the town.”
As at the time of filing this report, the abductors were yet to establish contact with the family.
The associate also said the matter had already been reported to Akungba police division, just as he pleaded on the Department of State Service (DSS) Army, Police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) to rescue the victims from his abductors.
Spokesman of Ondo state police command, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Femi Joseph said investigation into the mater had commenced, and assured police detectives had been mobilised to ensure his freedom from captivity.
Zulum accuses soldiers
Meanwhile, Borno state Governor Babagana Umara Zulum hasaccused security personnel, comprising soldiers and police of collecting bribes of N1000 from travellers who do not have national identity cards.
The governor made the accusation Monday afternoon when he visited the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway where thousands of travellers were stranded because security officials manning the highway locked it down.
The highway is relatively the safest access in and out of Maiduguri, despite repeated Boko Haram attacks on the area in recent time.
Upon reaching the Maiduguri entrance checkpoint, located near the Borno State University, the governor met hundreds of vehicles queued up on both sides of the lanes.
“This is unacceptable,” Governor Zulum said, raising his voice in palpable anger and disenchantment.
“How can you subject people to this kind of torture all in the name of national ID card? And you are all here collecting N500 and N1000 from poor travellers who don’t have national ID card.”
When a soldier tried to offer some explanation, the governor retorted: “No, this is not right. The federal government has not created an enabling environment for our people to get their national ID cards and you are here collecting N500 and N1000 as a fine for not having what the federal government has not provided for all.”
Culled from Blueprints